Thursday, June 21, 2018

Writing for a Dance Scholarship

These are the four scholarship winners.
Ms. Cathy is talking about the scholarship.

On Sunday, May 20th, the curtain closed on the 2017-2018 dance year at Main Street Conservatory of Dance. I was very happy to win a scholarship this year for my summer ballet intensive at Joffrey Ballet School in Georgia. Every year Dr. Dennis Anderson and Ms. Cathy Anderson provide a scholarship to local dancers. They do it in memory of their daughters Sarah Grace and Emma Louise Anderson because they died in a car crash.  Both of their daughters were dancers. Applicants have to write an essay about how they love dance. If they think it is good enough, they pick dancers to receive a scholarship. Scholarship winners get some money to pay for some of the summer intensive.


The night of the recital, we were presented with the scholarships. I was sitting in a classroom waiting for the grand finale dance. One of the volunteers yelled, "Haylynn and Lauryn, come downstairs!" I went, but Lauryn was still on stage dancing. When Lauryn came up the stairs, I said, "Lauryn, come with me." We stood in the corner waiting nervously to be called on stage for the scholarship. 


The seniors were onstage talking about their future college plans. We were waiting for the seniors to get done. Next, Dr. Dennis was talking about the scholarship. Then, Lauryn and I and the two other scholarship winners went on stage. He said, "Haylynn Harris got a scholarship for Joffrey Ballet this summer and gets to go to Georgia." Everyone clapped loudly for me. I was embarrassed. Ms. Cathy handed me flowers and a certificate that said Haylynn Harris on it. I was super happy that I got it. I will work hard to become a professional ballet dancer.

We did our grand finale after the scholarship presentation. 



Dr. Dennis Anderson and Ms. Cathy Anderson and the
scholarship winners.



Below is my essay.
Haylynn Drea Harris
This summer I will be a part of a dance school that is known around the world. In February, I auditioned for  Joffrey Ballet School summer intensive program. The audition was in St Paul, Minnesota at Tu Dance Center. This was my first audition outside of  Main Street Conservatory of Dance. I was nervous about messing up in front of the teacher, but I was brave enough to do it. I thought about the things Ms. Tricia, Ms. Joelle, and Ms. Amanda had told me. I had to do hard moves that day that I had never done before. I thought I could not even do some of the moves, but I tried my hardest. My teacher at the  Joffrey audition had danced on Broadway and worked with Misty Copeland, the first African- American principal ballerina at American Ballet Theater. That day, I felt like I was steps closer to becoming a professional dancer. There I was getting a lesson from someone who had danced with my idol! At the end of my audition, my teacher came up to me and said, “Haylynn, you have a lot of potential.” I would have loved to stay more hours and work with the teacher.
The next night my mom got an email from Joffrey Ballet School saying that I was accepted into  the summer program. I will be traveling to Athens, Georgia for two weeks in June. I get to dance all day long with professional dancers who are teachers. I feel like my future as a professional dancer is coming! Each time I go into ballet class, I am learning more and doing more.
In Marshfield, I am continuing to work hard, too. In April I got a note in the mail from Ms. Amanda saying that I moved up to level two in CBP. I am so proud that I made it. I am one step closer to making it to level 3...en pointe.
My sister and I are homeschooled which allows me to really focus on ballet. During the day, I stretch while doing homework. My sister and I go outside and pretend that we are in ballet competitions, too. During breaks, I experiment with ballet moves. My extra practice makes me feel  like a stronger dancer. When I get back from Georgia, I plan to work hard in my CBP summer classes in Marshfield. I think I will be stronger and more knowledgeable about ballet. I am looking forward to the challenge!
Dance brings me confidence and joy. I can't imagine what my life would be without dance.
Thank you for considering me for your scholarship.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Haylynn!! Congratulations on your scholarship!!

    ReplyDelete